Which qualities of a professional estimator are most important?
- Studying RFP documents thoroughly i.e., SOW, ITB, Specs, drawings and specially sub-con quotations.
- Owning a comprehensive and well-organized database which is being updated after each project submission.
- Live projects (visiting sites) most often in-order to experience the new construction techniques.
- Embraces and adopts digital revolution, treats MS Excel as a second wife, have good command on estimating software i.e. Candy (RIB CCS), etc.
- Efficient procurement skills and persuasive purchasing approach.
- Keeping good relationship with Cost Control office and getting feedback for critical item’s execution.
- Pareto’s Principle, 80/20, 80% impact comes from 20% items. Focusing on big ticket items from SCM perspective.
- Behaviour: Staying calm, focused during immense pressure, handling multitask, excellent level of numeracy, ability to prioritize the tasks, creative and inventive thinker, believer of team work, love subordinates.
- Proof reading, Cross checking, comparing final figure with similar nature of previously submitted projects before issuing final report.
- Not only producing the persuasive commercial proposals but knowing the art to present it in a self-explaining manner.
Lead Estimator at El Seif Engineering Contracting
Published on August 23, 2020 LinkedIn